Sometimes simple things around us have another function we didn’t know exists.
The “other function” can be a little surprising because it’s beyond the mediocre task it’s supposed to do.
One of the easiest examples is baking soda.
Do you have baking soda at home?
I believe you do.
Or you’re probably only 15 minutes away from the store that has it, right?
Baking soda has so many benefits beyond the baking department.
In fact, you can make your home spotless using this cheap ingredient.
Down below are awesome ideas to use baking soda for cleaning your home.
So, check them out and let me know what you think!
Clean the kitchen sink drain
Have you experienced any clogged sink?
Isn’t it terrible?
Now there is a super cheap and easy way to unclog a sink drain!
The ingredients are baking soda + lemon juice + hot water.
Firstly, run hot water down the drain.
You can prepare the hot water using a pot + stove. Or, if you’re fortunate enough to a have double-handle water faucet, just turn it on and let it deliver hot water.
After the hot water loosening the gunk, the next step is pouring baking soda.
Attention, please, the next part is so important.
Pour it cup by cup, slowly. You want to make the baking soda spreads all over the gunk instead of being collected in a single area.
The next step is gonna be a little science experiment.
Slowly pour the lemon juice down the drain.
Brace yourself, there might be fizz or bubbles.
Then quickly cover with a tub stopper or a rag.
After 30 minutes, come back and re-run the hot water down the drain.
Repeat as needed.
Clean the dishwasher
If you want to make your dishwasher interior cleaner and brighter using very little effort, you can use baking soda.
- Sprinkle a cup of baking soda at the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Run a hot water cycle (the quick one).
- After the dishwasher finishes the cycle, open the door, and be amazed.
Clean the microwave
- Mix a tablespoon (or two!) of baking soda and a cup of water inside a microwave-safe bowl
- Close the door and microwave the bowl for 3 minutes.
- Let the door closed for another 3 minutes.
- Open the door, wipe off the interior of the microwave using a wet sponge.
This trick should banish bad odor and stains from your microwave.
Clean the cooktop
This trick is super simple and you don’t need any expensive cleaner to purchase.
Just grab a cup of baking soda and sprinkle it all over the cool cooktop.
Prepare a big towel (or 2 small towels), put it in soapy hot water.
Squeeze the towel to remove excess water.
After that, use the towel to cover the cooktop for 15 minutes.
Come again after 15 minutes to wipe away the baking soda using the towel.
After no baking soda left, wipe with a dry cloth.
If you want a shiny-looking cooktop, you can spray it with vinegar and wipe it again with a dry cloth.
P.S. Make sure all the burners are cool before starting doing this trick.
Clean the tile floor
Tackle that dirt and tile floor using baking soda, water, and a mop.
Just pour 2 cups of baking soda into a bucket of water and use the mixture to mop the floor.
It’s super simple, isn’t it?
Clean the wall from crayon marks
- Make a paste of baking soda and water
- Dip a damp rag into the paste
- Scrub the crayon mark on the wall
- Wipe them clean with a clean cloth.
More wall cleaning tips? Click here.
Clean the mattress
You can actually use baking soda for mattress speed-cleaning and deep-cleaning.
For speed cleaning, there are 3 simple steps to follow:
- Vacuum the mattress.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the mattress.
- Vacuum again until no powder left.
For deep cleaning, there are 5 simple steps.
- Vacuum the mattress to remove all the dirt.
- Mix baking soda, salt, and warm water to make a paste.
- Rub the paste to every stain spotted on the mattress.
- Wait for 30 minutes.
- Wipe away the paste.
So, examine your mattress really well and decide which treatment it needs.
Clean the carpet
Very similar to the previous trick, cleaning the carpet using baking soda can be done in 2 ways.
The first way (the quick one) involves a vacuum cleaner and a cup of baking soda.
- Vacuum the carpet to remove the dirt.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet surface.
- Vacuum again to remove the baking soda.
The second way involves a baking soda paste. See? It’s so similar to the mattress trick.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water.
- Rub the baking soda paste into the stained area of the carpet.
- Wait until the paste becomes dry.
- Vacuum again.
Clean the comb and brush
You can use baking soda to clean the comb and brush as easy as 1, 2, and 3!
- Put 2 tablespoons of baking soda into a warm water
- Soak your comb and brush in the mixture for 15 minutes
- Rinse them with clean water.
Isn’t that super simple?!
All of those cleaning hacks above are so easy to do and super cheap!